Thursday, October 11, 2012

One year birthday

Olivia and Carter turned one year old on Tuesday.  I don't think I've ever looked forward to any birthday more than I've looked forward to this one.  It came with a strong sense of accomplishment and thanksgiving.  Is it weird to say that I was mostly just proud of them?  That's really how I felt.  I was so proud of them for growing into the toddlers that they are now.  Plus, I was extremely grateful to have experienced this year with them and Forrest. 

When I went into their bedroom that morning, I immediately proclaimed that it was their birthday.  Then I sang them every birthday song I could think of.  They understood my excitement but probably not its cause, but that's ok.  I want them to know that their birthday is a big deal to me, which is just what my parents did on my birthdays.

I also heard Forrest telling Olivia that "one year ago today was a great day for us, probably not for her, but it definitely was for us."  I thought that was really sweet. 

We didn't have a party because we'll do that at the lake house next weekend.  They did get a couple cards in the mail and some balloons from their teachers and classmates at school.  I served them yogurt for dinner with mandarin oranges inside, as that is their favorite meal. 

O and C - thank you for the best year of my life.  You two are such a joy to me and I'm grateful for the time we've been given together.  I love you this much!

P.S. babies.... I know one of you pooped in the tub on your birthday but neither of you have owned up to it. You seem intent on keeping that secret from me.  I will forgive it since it was your birthday and it's a general rule in our family that you can do no wrong on your birthday.

1 comment:

  1. Ha ha! They will take that one to the grave. Can't wait to celebrate those sweeties at the lake!

    ReplyDelete