Monday, March 5, 2012

Quiet Weekend at Home

We had nothing special planned for this weekend.  Dun was supposed to be here, but she wasn't able to get a seat on the plane out here so she had to cancel her trip.  So, we ended up doing a little of this and a little of that, which when added all together made a very nice weekend.

On Saturday morning we went to Cracker Barrel for breakfast.  I'm not sure if this is turning in to a tradition or not (I'm sure Forrest hopes and prays that it is NOT) but I let the twins stay in their jammas all day again, just like last Saturday.  They got lots of attention at the restaurant.  They really didn't want to sleep in the restaurant, but they also didn't need to fuss either.  They just wanted to sit on our laps and watch all of the people around us.  Our breakfast was punctuated by many remarks about how cute they are, questions about their genetic makeup (are they identical?), and one offer to hold them for us while we ate (we should have accepted).  It was a very nice breakfast.

We spent the rest of the day at home.  We have noticed that they put a premium on fun (who did they get that from?) so when they are awake, they want to be playing with something or someone.  Sitting up in their bumbos, they can play with toys and entertain themselves pretty easily.  It's also very interesting to them to be facing each other, as they now love to interract together.  I told Forrest yesterday that I thought they liked each other more than they like us.  He thinks that's a good thing, and he's probably right. 



Notice the pile of toys on the floor.


As usual, Olivia poses for the picture while Carter blows me off.


The fatal flaw with the above play arrangement is that they keep dropping the toys off their tray, which means I have to sit down there to retrieve and return the toys. Even Rascal gets tired of entertaining them on the floor!  I know I know, that's what we signed up for, but it doesn't hurt to have a little contraption that pinch hits for us when we need a break.  This little gem has several hanging plastic toys that, when touched, deploy some sort of noise and light combo.  It actually sounds and looks a lot like a slot machine (ding ding ding!), so naturally I like it too.




It's only been two days of entertainment with that contraption so I can't say that it's withstood the test of time, but I'm hopeful that this proves to be interesting for a while.  If so, I'll definitely pass it on to my sisters as it's wonderful to be able to sneak away for a few minutes to do house work, do my hair, cook dinner, or do whatever else I might desire to do sans babies.
On Sunday, we went to church and then to Steinmart so that Forrest could get a belt and some trouser socks.  After that the twins took a nap, but not in their cribs.  Their indulgent mom let them sleep in her bed with her (guilty!).  I learned my lesson though....as nice as it is to cuddle the babies, they wiggle and squirm and make it impossible for an adult to sleep nearby. 


Sorry it's so dark.  I didn't use the flash for obvious reasons.
Of note, notice how Olivia has the covers pulled up over her mouth?  Normally when get her from her crib, she's got her blanket pulled up all the way over her face.  She wasn't strong enough to pull the quilt up that high this time.  I think it's terribly strange to sleep with covers over the face, but Forrest says that his mother sleeps like that and so did Mallory.  So, I guess she got that little quirk from them.

After naps we went for a walk on the Longleaf Trace.  It was a nice but short walk.  Carter was starting to get fussy so we only made it about a half mile before we decided it would be smart to turn back.  I didn't get any pics of that, because I was too busy holding on to two leashes.

Last pics of the weekend are of Liv and her dad.  For some reason Forrest wasn't in the paparazzi mood, so I told him I wouldn't include his face in the pic, which is why he's cut off. 


3 comments:

  1. Love them! You just wait till those 2 figure out that if they drop the toy you will pick it up for them. AE figured it out last week. So she holds her arm out w/ the toy while looking at me, drops it, looks down at it and then back up at me expectantly. Stinker face!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope your Cracker Barrel breakfast doesn't become a tradition, either. Forrest makes the best breakfasts at HOME!

    ReplyDelete