Friday, March 9, 2012

Olivia lately

Olivia is complex.  She is wonderful and challenging all at the same time.  Mostly her disposition is sweet and inquisitive.  She is very interested in the world around her and I love to watch her eyes dart around the room, to find what is making a noise or to see where someone is.  Her smile is quick and genuine.  She has perfect skin - the kind of skin that reminds you how good God's creation is when it's in mint condition.  She's straight from the factory, and although many of her parts don't work as well as they someday will, her skin is at it's prime. 

She is totally lacking in the hair department.  Unfortunately for her, she inherited the same funny head that her Pops, Aunt Liah, and mom have.  Once she gets hair she won't notice that funny shaped head, but until then it makes me giggle because I see so much "Helms" in her.  The hair she does have is very fine and blonde, just like how Morgan's and Caroline's were at this age.

She loves the sound of her own voice, almost as much as I love the sound of her voice!  She coos and talks and giggles.  I find her watching my mouth intently when I talk.  I know her little brain is cranking in that funny shaped head, as she is trying to learn how to make sounds just like I do.

She's challenging for a few reasons....she is impatient.  When she wakes up, she wants to eat.  If you don't put food in her mouth within 15 seconds of picking her up, she's angry and letting you know it.  She doesn't have time for me to change her diaper, warm the bottle, or set her down to just get myself ready.  I do make her wait, but during that wait I get to hear that voice again, only this time in volumes and pitches that I'm not crazy about.

For being such a demanding eater, she's not a great one.  She gets horrible gas which makes her refuse the bottle.  She'll drink a couple of swallows, then fiercely turn her head to get the bottle out of her mouth.  Then, once the bottle comes out of her mouth, she cries.  The crying continues until she's gotten relief from the gas (a burp).  Sometimes I"ll burp her for what feels like ages while she screams.  The burp always comes though so long as we are persistent enough.  Then, she'll eat and be happy.

She's a great napper.  The ladies at day care say that she naps pretty much off and on all day long.  She's unfortunately not the best night sleeper, but then again she's not terrible either so I shouldn't criticize how long she can sleep.  She's still not 11 pounds, so I know she does need food more frequently than her bigger peers.  Some nights she can go 6 hours between feedings, but some nights she gets hunger after 4 hours.  However, what is good about her is that she can fall asleep quickly at night.  We just have to put her in her crib and she's asleep within about a minute.

Olivia likes to have a blanket pulled up over her face while she sleeps.  Forrest says she got that from his mother and sister Mallory.  It's strange to me, but I just provide her with her yellow crocheted blanket (that I made) and she covers up and is happy.

She's still in size 3 months clothing.  Although I'm getting kind of tired of her outfits, I am thankful that I have enough and they are comfortable for her.  I sometimes dress her in her brother's sleepers, as they are warm and I like her to be in something substantial at night.  She doesn't seem to mind. 

Last weekend when we were at the Cracker Barrel, I had her in one of Carter's sleepers, which was blue.  A couple of ladies commented that they had thought she was a girl despite the blue sleeper, because she has a girls face.  I completely agree.  Her face has changed a lot since she was born and is becoming more feminine and beautiful with each day. 

1 comment:

  1. I love Olivia. She's kind of like Evie in that she's not immediately won-over or understood. She's her own girl!!

    ReplyDelete