How has insomnia found me? I'm a sleep deprived mother of weeks old twins! I should be sleeping like a baby (horrible metaphor) when I get the chance.
Sleep has thus far worked pretty well for us. I go to bed between 8:00 and 9:00pm (no wise cracks about the early bed time, I get excused for now) and Forrest takes the 9:00pm and 12:00am feedings. I wake up and do the 3:00am and 6:00am feedings. That allows me to get about 6 consecutive hours of sleep.
Tonight, I got in bed at 9:00pm and sleep could not find me. I guess insomnia found me first. I haven't had insomnia since my shift working days. Finally at midnight I threw in the towel and got out of bed. Forrest agreed to go to sleep and take my 6:00am feeding, so I'm on duty now until they go down after 3:00am.
Also, tonight is Halloween...the twins' first Halloween. It's funny how it seems important to mark the "first" of everything for the twins. We certainly didn't do anything special like dress them up in costumes. In fact, this is the only way I'm memorializing their first Halloween. When you're 3 weeks old, it's just not that fun to dress up for Halloween. Plus, I'm not sure that they make costumes in preemie sizes.
Of note, I did hand out some candy. One of our trick or treaters was a pregnant woman. Her belly was exposed and she had painted it as part of her costume. I couldn't tell how old she was since she was in costume, but I suspected she was a teenager. It was very strange. I think I would have skipped this year, if I were her.
No comments:
Post a Comment