Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Never wake a sleeping baby

Maybe I'm going rogue (see previous post), but I broke another rule this morning....the "never wake a sleeping baby rule."  It's a good rule and so I try not to break it.

Our twins both woke up at 4:30 am to eat, which meant they were primed to sleep in this morning.  Unfortunately, their dad and I had a hard time going back to sleep after we fed them.  Finally at about 6:15 I got up and started getting ready for the day.  I made the coffee, emptied the dishwasher, reloaded the dishwasher, and made their bottles for the day.  Still no stirring from the baby room.

Usually they wake up between 5:30 and 6:00, but this weekend Forrest installed a black out shade in their room because we suspected the long daylight hours were keeping them up at night and waking them up in the morning.  Our suspicions were right because they've been sleeping better since we got the shade.  So, at 6:45 I tiptoed into their room with my coffee cup and I sat in the rocker and watched them sleep.  I prayed during that time.  I thanked God for the blessings of my children, husband, family, job, home, safety, and of my physical needs being met.  Then of course I prayed for Drake and Kennedy. 

It was at this point in the prayer when my heart was most vulnerable, that I couldn't resist reaching my hand through the slats in the crib and touching Carter's hair.  Olivia's crib has bumpers so she wasn't as easy to touch, but Carter's doesn't and so I could easily access his soft hair.  So, I did.  I touched his hair, but that just wasn't enough.  Then I started touching his face.  Then he woke up.  He rolled around for a few minutes then turned to look at me.  Then he smiled.

And so did I!

And since posts aren't that much fun without a picture, I'll add one here.  I took this pic of Olivia while she was napping in my bed on Sunday.  Such a sweet angel.

2 comments:

  1. I had to wake K over the weekend...I paid for that for an hour of heartbreaking screaming. I woke her this morning too...and got the smiles. Nothing makes your heart melt like those wonderful smiles :)

    ReplyDelete