Monday, April 1, 2013

Grandmommie's rings

This picture is so special to me.  I took it at Erika's wedding. 

While visiting with Karen, Bryan's bride-to-be, during the cocktail hour, I asked to see her engagement ring.  She showed me a beautiful ring that Bryan had made using the diamond from Grandmommie's engagement ring.  I showed her the wedding band I wear, which is the same wedding band Grandmommie wore.  Our Grandmommie wore three rings on the ring finger of her left hand for as long as I can remember.  Her engagement ring, her wedding band, and her mother-in-law's (Mama Harris)engagement ring.

On the day she died, I remember that her rings were removed and given to three of us.  Uncle Bart took Mama Harris's engagement ring, Uncle Jim took Grandmommie's engagement ring, and my mom let me have Grandmommie's wedding band. 

Uncle Bart ended up giving the engagement ring to Aunt Jenny, who has worn it on the ring finger of her left hand for many years now.  I wore the wedding band on the ring finger of my right hand for years after her death, until I got engaged to Forrest.  Then I decided I wanted that to be my wedding band too, so it's the ring he gave me on our wedding day.

The other ring though had not been worn since Grandmommie died.  It was kept somewhere safe by Uncle Jim until Bryan needed it.  He then created a beautiful new ring for Karen using the diamond from that ring.

It occured to me at this wedding that this was the first time since October of 2000 that the three rings worn by my grandmother were all in the same place again.  So, I called Aunt Jenny over and we took this picture of our hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment