Being from Texas, I love a good chili cookoff. The Keg and Barrel hosted their 2nd annual (gasp - what a tradition!) chili cookoff on Saturday and there was no way we were going to miss it.
It was a cold day, and the reason that's important is so that you'll understand why I did not get a single picture of the cook off itself. The Keg and Barrel is a bar that is inside an old bungalow style house. However, they have a long driveway adjacent to the house, and that was where the competitors set up. There were 40 entries (whew!) and they all set up their tents (like what you'd see on the beach) and served their chilis. The festivities started at 11:00, and showed up shortly after the start time to participate in the fun. I dressed Olivia in her soft fleece pants, a onesy, and a fleece hooded jacket. I dressed Carter in cotton pants and a cotton hoody. I totally underestimated how cold it was. The temperature was in the 40s and the wind was fierce. There were other kids there, but they were all bundled up head to toe in layers upon layers, underneath big puffy ski suits. Carter and Olivia didn't stand a chance in those elements.
So, we staked a claim inside and it ended up working out well. Forrest manned the fort while I made runs to the different booths and brought samples of chili for Forrest and I to try. There was indian chili, italian wedding bean chili, white chocolate turducken chili, wild boar chili, pheasant chili, several venison chilis, a white chicken chili, one that claimed to be a true Texas chili (ha! I didn't agree), and many others. We only got to about 15 of them before we had our fill.
Two of Forrest's coworkers from his department, Rich and Yen, were there with their spouses. Also, Yen and her husband John brought their son Adam, who is 8 months old and about 15 pounds of pure cuteness. I think he will be a good friend to Carter and Olivia.
So, below are the pics I got from the event. They were all taken from our table inside the bar. I know, they suck. I didn't even get any pics of the tents. I have much to learn, but I"m trying.

No comments:
Post a Comment