On Thursday I was in Andalulsia Alabama visiting with some customers. Right as our meeting was about to end, I felt a gush of warm liquid coming out of me (from down there). I got up and ran to the bathroom and I was soaked with blood. There was a woman in the bathroom and I told her the situation and she told me I should go to the ER. She also went out and got rid of my customers who were probably very concerned and confused at that point (I had blood running down my legs and it was all over the chair I had been sitting in).
I drove to the regional hospital and was quickly admitted to the ER. How lucky am I that no one was waiting? I called my doctor on the way and described what had happened. My doctor wasn't available but my nurse confirmed that I should go to the ER. Once I got settled in to the exam room, a nurse came in to tell me that a woman from Powersouth (the company I was visiting) was there to see me. She came in and it was the lady from the bathroom. Her name was Carol and she ended up staying with me for the whole time. She was a total angel.
The first thing they did was give me an ultrasound to check for a heartbeat. This was so incredibly scary because I knew that it was a pretty bad sign that I had bled as much as I did. The ultra sound tech took forever before she finally said anything, and I couldn't see the screen so I was incredibly nervous. Then I heard a heartbeat and I was so relieved. Then she moved to the other baby and I heard a heartbeat there too. The heartbeats were at 151 and 169 bpm, faster than last week which is a good sign because they are supposed to increase in speed. I was so stinking relieved!
Then I had to go back to the exam room to get a pelvic exam to make sure my cervix hadn't opened. I had to wait 2 hours before they did that, but fortunately they finally did the exam and everything was ok. My doctor called them and the ER attending physician wanted to speak to him before they released me. They spoke and determined everything was fine. Then I spoke to my doctor on the phone and he told me that the ER doctor was an idiot - knew nothing about obstetrics (which I had already concluded by this point). However, the ultra sound was great and that made him feel good.
He said that this is more common in twin pregnancies. He suspects what happens is that one of the embryos partially detached from the uterine wall which caused a lot of blood to be shed all at once. Since there were still heartbeats then likely everything is perfectly ok. However, he didn't want me flying home. So, Forrest flew out to Montgomery that night and he and I drove my rental car home (12 hours - OMG!!).
So that's my scary story. The angel who stayed at the hospital with me told my customers about what had happened the next day (I gave her permission). Of course they called me first thing to check on me and to tell me that they wished they had known at the time, but appreciated that it was highly awkward. Unfortunately I think they'll have to get rid of the chair I was sitting in. Isn't that every 12 year old girl's worst nightmare? That she's going to get her period and it's going to show? Well, this was more than a period....it was like someone poured 2-3 cups of blood out of me all at once. When we got home Forrest asked to see my pants, and of course the blood stain was all the way up the back of the butt almost to the waist band. He held me and said how sorry he was that I had to experience that.
It was one of the worst experiences of my life because I was so afraid that I had lost the babies. Poor Forrest and my family were all terribly upset also. It was good that Forrest could hop on a plane and get out there because I know he wouldn't have been able to just sit at home.
I have another sonogram scheduled for Tuesday with my IVF doctor and I'm crossing my fingers that everything is still ok.
No comments:
Post a Comment